Legislative Centre for Security Analysis
Legislative Centre for Security Analysis (LeCeSA) is a peace and security
research arm of the National Institute for Legislative and Democratic Studies
(NILDS), under the National Assembly of Nigeria. It was established on the 24th of
May, 2023 by the indefatigable efforts of the Director-General of NILDS, the
leadership of the National Assembly and NILDS Management, thereby expanding
the functions of the Institute.
To be a specialised centre of security analysis and training for the legislature in Nigeria, Africa and the world at large.
To strengthen the legislature and security institutions in Nigeria and beyond to make informed decisions through evidence-based research, training, advocacy and knowledge sharing in the areas of peace and security.
Functions of the Centre
The centre is a peace and security research department of National Institute for
Legislative and Democratic Studies established by National Assembly and NILDS
Management with the following objectives
Structure of the Centre
- Bill for an Act to amend the Energy Commission of Ngeria Act to Grant Priority to the Development and Promotion of New and renewable Energy, Energy Efficient and Conservation, and for related matters
Sponsored by Hon. Tony Nwoye,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju
- Bill for an Act to Establish the Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria for forestry research, education and training in Nigeria and for Related Matters
Sponsored by Sen. Ahmad Lawan,
Analysed by Dr. Augustine Osigwe & Dr. Omorogbe Asemota
- A Bill For An Act To Provide for the Establishment of Financial Control Department (FCD) in the Office of the President, for the Purpose of Monitoring Finances of all Federal Government and Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies and for Related Matters, 2017
Sponsored by Hon. Johnson Egwakhide Oghuma,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju & Emily Ikhide
- A Bill for an Act to Amend the Electricity Power Sector Reform Act No. 6, 2005
Sponsored by Hon. Daniel Asuquo Effiong,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju & Emily Ikhide
- Bill for an Act to provide for the prevention of lifestyle diseases through the regulation of the sale, consumption and advertisement of unhealthy processed foods, drinks and beverages which are high in calories, sugar, saturated fat and sodium and for related matters
Sponsored by Hon. Abubakar Yunusa Ahmad,
Analysed by Fadila Jumare & Emily Ikhide
- Bill for An Act to Establish the Chartered Institute of Export And Commodity Brokers Of Nigeria To Regulate The Practice, Professional Conduct and Promote the Highest Standard of Competence among the Members of the Profession; And for Related Matters
Sponsored by Hon Uzoma Nkem – Abonta,
Analysed by Dr. Omorogbe Asemota & Chukwuemeka Onyimadu
- Bill for an Act to Establish the National Institute of Construction Technology and Management to Provide Full-Time and Part-Time Courses and Manpower Training in Construction Technology, Engineering Technology, Applied Sciences, Management Sciences and other Fields of Study
Sponsored by Hon. Sergius Ogun,
Analysed by Dr. Augustine Osigwe and Ezechi Ibe
- Bill for an Act to Amend some Provisions of the National Biosafety Management Agency Act, 2015 and for Related Matters
Sponsored by Sen. Yahaya A. Abdullahi,
Analysed by Dr. Terfa Abraham & Dr Ola Falade
- Bill for an Act to Provide for the Establishment of Nigeria Natural Medicine Development Agency to Provide Research, Develop, Promote, Conserve, Document and Preserve Nigeria’s Indigenous (Traditional) Healthcare Systems, Medications and Non-Medications Healing Arts, Sciences, Technologies, Bioresources and Facilitate their Integration into the National Healthcare Delivery System and for Related Matters
Analysed by Dr Omorogbe Asemota
The Centre is open for collaboration with relevant organizations
National Programmes (Jan - August)
- Hangout with Social media influencers on Appropriation and Budget Reform Process, 16th January 2018. NILDS Training Room.
- 5 Day Benchmarking/ Training Workshop for members of Puntland Parliament, Somalia. 22-26 January 2018, NILDS Boardroom.
- A Two (2) Day Workshop on Expected Outcomes of Administrative and Financial Autonomy of State Houses of Assembly in Nigeria. 7th-8th February, 2018, NILDS Training Room, 1 River Niger Street, Maitama, Abuja.
- 2 Week Training Workshop for Official Reporters of Anambra and Ogun State Houses of Assembly, NILDS Training Room.
- Employment creation in Agriculture and agro-processing in the context of inclusive growth in Nigeria. NASS/ Reiz Continental Hotel. April 28-29, 2018
- Validation workshop of the reports of subcommittees of NILDS technical committee of reforming Nigeria Tax system. NASS Complex. May 14, 2018
- 3 Day Capacity Building Workshop for Members of the Public Accounts, Expenditure and Audit Committee of Liberia. May 24 -26, 2018
- 5-Day Capacity Building Workshop for Legislative Staff and other Key Staff of the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, June 19th – 23rd, 2018
- DS-EU-YIAGA Workshop on State Legislatures and Public Engagement: The Role of Clerks 5-6 July, 2018 NILDS Training Room.
- NILDS-INEC-EU Summit on Elections Observation 17-18 July, 2018 Sheraton Hotel.
- National Assembly Open Week 16-19 July, 2018 NASS
- 2 day Capacity Building workshop for Members of Adamawa State House of Assembly, 26-27th July, 2028. NILDS Training Room.
- Conference for Speakers, Clerks, Accountants and Commissions of SHOA on Operationalizing 1st Line Charge 6-7 August, NILDS.
Director of the Department
Prof. Zubairu Kwambo Dagona
Prof. Zubairu Kwambo Dagona is professor of Clinical Psychology. He holds the following degrees (BSc., 1988) in General and Applied Psychology, University of Jos-Nigeria. (M.Sc. 1991) Clinical Psychology, University of Jos, Nigeria. (PhD, 2013) Analysis of Trauma Resilience, University of Bradford, UK. He is a long term practitioner with acquired experience in dealing with primary, secondary and tertiary classes of psychological trauma. A skillful PM+ councilor and psychotherapist with cognitive behavioural orientation. A trained practitioner and facilitator in Alternative to Violence Project (AVP) Britain. An experienced conflict resolution-training expert. Vast experienced working with problems of woman and children affected by war in Africa (Nigeria and Serra Leone). Consultant clinical Psychologist and trauma counsellor with both individual and group work perspective. Prof. Dagona is a legislative Security expert. He was Director Centre for Conflict resolution and Peace studies University of Jos2015-2020. Professor Zubairu Kwambo Dagona is the Director Legislative Centre for Security Analysis NILDS National Assembly, Nigeria, a position he has occupied since May 2023. An administrator in academic Institution and well experienced in handling staff and students’ personal issues and problems. He has many publications in Journal articles, Book chapters, Edited books, Edited Journals and Author a book. A Lecturer and once Head of Department of Psychology University of Jos: February 2000 – October, 2004. He has supervised many post graduate theses and dissertations (MSc and PhD’s) in Clinical Psychology, Social and Terrorism Psychology and Advanced Social Theories. Professional consultancy in Conflict Resolution and Peace Building Support Programs with International and Local NGOs in Jos, Plateau state and Maiduguri, Borno state August 2001-date. Hosted as resource person at National Defence College Abuja: corruption and anti-corruption measures in Nigeria, August 6th, 2018, and NIPPS 27th-30th November 2016 on Dialogue on Current National Security Challenges in Nigeria and many other local and international bodies. Prof. Dagona is happily married with children.