DEPARTMENT: Economic and Social Research
The Department of Economic and Social Research is engaged in conducting in-depth studies on various areas of interest to the legislators. Through research, data collection and analysis in various areas of development policy and economic management, the Institute assists the work of the National Assembly.
It plays a leading role in enabling the National Assembly to keep abreast of cutting-edge developments, and to contribute to the shaping of development perspectives and strategies.
The Institute collaborates with other policy research centres, universities, government and non-governmental institutions in order to ensure its technical quality in research. The output of such works are published in a language and style easily understood by members of the National Assembly and the general public.
Functions of the Department
- Bill for an Act to amend the Energy Commission of Ngeria Act to Grant Priority to the Development and Promotion of New and renewable Energy, Energy Efficient and Conservation, and for related matters
Sponsored by Hon. Tony Nwoye,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju
- Bill for an Act to Establish the Forestry Research Institute of Nigeria for forestry research, education and training in Nigeria and for Related Matters
Sponsored by Sen. Ahmad Lawan,
Analysed by Dr. Augustine Osigwe & Dr. Omorogbe Asemota
- A Bill For An Act To Provide for the Establishment of Financial Control Department (FCD) in the Office of the President, for the Purpose of Monitoring Finances of all Federal Government and Ministries, Extra-Ministerial Departments and Agencies and for Related Matters, 2017
Sponsored by Hon. Johnson Egwakhide Oghuma,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju & Emily Ikhide
- A Bill for an Act to Amend the Electricity Power Sector Reform Act No. 6, 2005
Sponsored by Hon. Daniel Asuquo Effiong,
Analysed by Dr. Oluwasola Omoju & Emily Ikhide
- Bill for an Act to provide for the prevention of lifestyle diseases through the regulation of the sale, consumption and advertisement of unhealthy processed foods, drinks and beverages which are high in calories, sugar, saturated fat and sodium and for related matters
Sponsored by Hon. Abubakar Yunusa Ahmad,
Analysed by Fadila Jumare & Emily Ikhide
- Bill for An Act to Establish the Chartered Institute of Export And Commodity Brokers Of Nigeria To Regulate The Practice, Professional Conduct and Promote the Highest Standard of Competence among the Members of the Profession; And for Related Matters
Sponsored by Hon Uzoma Nkem – Abonta,
Analysed by Dr. Omorogbe Asemota & Chukwuemeka Onyimadu
- Bill for an Act to Establish the National Institute of Construction Technology and Management to Provide Full-Time and Part-Time Courses and Manpower Training in Construction Technology, Engineering Technology, Applied Sciences, Management Sciences and other Fields of Study
Sponsored by Hon. Sergius Ogun,
Analysed by Dr. Augustine Osigwe and Ezechi Ibe
- Bill for an Act to Amend some Provisions of the National Biosafety Management Agency Act, 2015 and for Related Matters
Sponsored by Sen. Yahaya A. Abdullahi,
Analysed by Dr. Terfa Abraham & Dr Ola Falade
- Bill for an Act to Provide for the Establishment of Nigeria Natural Medicine Development Agency to Provide Research, Develop, Promote, Conserve, Document and Preserve Nigeria’s Indigenous (Traditional) Healthcare Systems, Medications and Non-Medications Healing Arts, Sciences, Technologies, Bioresources and Facilitate their Integration into the National Healthcare Delivery System and for Related Matters
Analysed by Dr Omorogbe Asemota
Structure of the Department
The Department is consists of three divisions:
Research Division- Functions
Analysis of proposed and existing legislation to highlight their socio-economic implications and draw out issues for legislative action
- Conducting periodic research on sectoral issues and Nigeria’s economic management;
- Analysis of government policy documents to highlight how they can be strengthened/ implemented to enhance the good governance;
- Preparing briefs on topical socio-economic issues as in put to the day-to-day debates that is done at committee level or at plenary;
- Serving as secretariat to technical committees constituted by the National Assembly to address core issues touching on Nigeria’s economic management such as economic management, revenue mobilization, resource management, public financial management, etc
National Programmes (Jan - August)
- Hangout with Social media influencers on Appropriation and Budget Reform Process, 16th January 2018. NILDS Training Room.
- 5 Day Benchmarking/ Training Workshop for members of Puntland Parliament, Somalia. 22-26 January 2018, NILDS Boardroom.
- A Two (2) Day Workshop on Expected Outcomes of Administrative and Financial Autonomy of State Houses of Assembly in Nigeria. 7th-8th February, 2018, NILDS Training Room, 1 River Niger Street, Maitama, Abuja.
- 2 Week Training Workshop for Official Reporters of Anambra and Ogun State Houses of Assembly, NILDS Training Room.
- Employment creation in Agriculture and agro-processing in the context of inclusive growth in Nigeria. NASS/ Reiz Continental Hotel. April 28-29, 2018
- Validation workshop of the reports of subcommittees of NILDS technical committee of reforming Nigeria Tax system. NASS Complex. May 14, 2018
- 3 Day Capacity Building Workshop for Members of the Public Accounts, Expenditure and Audit Committee of Liberia. May 24 -26, 2018
- 5-Day Capacity Building Workshop for Legislative Staff and other Key Staff of the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, June 19th – 23rd, 2018
- DS-EU-YIAGA Workshop on State Legislatures and Public Engagement: The Role of Clerks 5-6 July, 2018 NILDS Training Room.
- NILDS-INEC-EU Summit on Elections Observation 17-18 July, 2018 Sheraton Hotel.
- National Assembly Open Week 16-19 July, 2018 NASS
- 2 day Capacity Building workshop for Members of Adamawa State House of Assembly, 26-27th July, 2028. NILDS Training Room.
- Conference for Speakers, Clerks, Accountants and Commissions of SHOA on Operationalizing 1st Line Charge 6-7 August, NILDS.
Director of the Department
Prof. Siyan Peters
Peter Siyan, a Professor of Economics is presently an Ag. Director with the Department of Economics and Social Research (DESR), National Institute for Democratic Studies, National Assembly, Abuja-Nigeria. He is an experienced administrator who has served in various capacities in the University setting. These include a member of the University’s Governing Council; the Head of the Economics Department. Dean of the Social Sciences, Director of the Center for Distance Learning and Continuing Education. He is a member of the Economic Society of Nigeria; a member of the African Council for Distance Education (ACDE) and the Royal Economic Society of the United Kingdom. He is a Fellow of the Directorate of Business Management, International Agency for Standards and Rating; Fellow, Chartered Institute of Leadership and Governance; His research interests and consultancy experiences are in the area of Leadership. Legislative matters and Governance, transportation analysis and safety. He has participated in many national and international research works and carried out consultancies for many organizations. He has rendered editorial services to various academic journals and served as an external examiner to many Universities and educational institutions. He also served as a resource person for many organizations. He has served as the Economic Adviser to the former Speaker of the House of Representatives. He has numerous articles in indexed journals with significant impact factors and International Scientific Indexing (ISI) Impact Factors. Prof Siyan is the author of 3 books. The Noble Professor was declared the World Champion and winner of 2018 in Business Management (Infrastructure Development).